- Soil type: Sand, Loam or chalk moist but well drained
- Flowering time: July-August
- Ultimate height: 0.5-1m
- Ultimate spread: 0.1-0.5m
- Exposure: sheltered
- Hardiness: Fully hardy
- Great cut flower and dries well
Eryngium planum is a perennial great for borders. A hardy plant that suits most conditions preferring not to sit in waterlogged soil. It has branched blue tinged stems with clusters of 2.5cm blue cone shaped thistle like flowers which the insects love. It has a rosette of leaves at ground level. Full sun brings out the blue.
- Cut back untidy foliage and stems in spring.
- Propagate by root cuttings, division in spring or seed
- Can suffer from root rot and powdery mildew
- for flower arranging cut before the flowers are fully open
- slugs and snails can be a problem
All orders are picked and despatched on a Tuesday. We use the Royal Mail 1st Class Parcel service to minimise the time plants spend in their packaging. The delivery charge for addresses in the UK is £7.95. Please call us before placing orders for delivery outside of the UK.